Monday, July 7, 2008

The only thing stranger than fiction

We have a contract with Terminix to handle pest control at the house. I became quite friendly with the regular technician. There's a bit of a language barrier between us, but it's not too bad. On the day this particular exchange took place, he had just sprayed a portion of my house with fire-ant powder.

Me: Hey, is it ok for me to go back there? (Points to the laundry room that was just sprayed.)

Tech: Oh yes, fine. (He makes an unconcerned wave of his hand, despite the fact that perched atop his head is a full face air filter- something he's never worn before.)

Me: You sure? I can do my laundry, no problem?

Tech: Ah! This powder is....what is word...nuve?

Me: Nerve?

Tech: Yes! Nerves! So- to ant, it gets inside, yes? Kills very quickly, very deadly. But we are much bigger than ant. (A carefree wave of his hand, accompanied by an expression of unconcern.) For us, is no problem.

Me: Ok, so we're fine?

Tech: No, no. would take very much, have to be right in face.

Me: (still a little worried) ok....

Tech: Maybe, for little bit, you feel younger- (he gets an exaggerated sad face and pantomimes tears.)

Me: What?

Tech: Yes. Like when you were little.

Me: Huh? Sorry, I don't understand.

Tech: Is like- I am from Cuba. So, for me, when I (sniff sniff) too much -I am with it all day- I think back when I am little boy. To Cuba. (With a dramatic pose he clasps both hands to his heart) Ai, Cuba! But you- maybe is not Cuba. Maybe is French girl. (With a dramatic pose he clasps both hands to his heart) Ai, French girl! Yes?

Me: (Staring at him like he's got three heads.)

Tech: Because I am from Cuba, even though I am glad to be here, always a little (both hands to his heart again) to be gone, yes? But for you, is something else makes you feel like that. Maybe French girl, who knows?

Me: Oh! I'll feel depressed!

Tech: For maybe one hour, maybe littler.

Me: ...French girl?

No comments: